Thursday, August 4, 2011

A teacher once told me...

In high school I was really bad at turning in my math homework on time.  It wasn't so much that I didn't do my homework; rather, I would miss one assignment and as a result the following assignments would also be late.  One day my calculus teacher, Mr. Miller, approached me and gave this bit of advice:  instead of doing the oldest assignment first, start with the newest assignment and catch up on the older assignments later.  That way, only a couple assignments would be late rather than all of them.  I don't think I ever actually applied this to my math homework, but every time I open my journal (or log onto this blog) and see how far behind I am, I think of Mr. Miller's words and do my best to focus on what's happening now rather than worrying about all the things I've missed.

With that in mind, I'll start with what's going on now and work backwards.

Up until a couple days ago I had been feeling fairly uninformed about all things Indiana University Bloomington.  I had received a financial aid award letter in April but otherwise I had no idea about a bunch of stuff.  I know, of course, that once I get there I will definitely get the information I need even if it comes in the form of an angry school staff member who is complaining about such-and-such they never got from me and now I can't register.  Somehow I would get information.  But it still stressed me out.  Yesterday I finally got information and a lot of it at that!  Only now I'm even more stressed!  

This is really happening.  We're really moving in two weeks to Indiana, I'm really starting grad school and I really have a show I'm designing and the preliminary designs are really due Sept 8th.

But we still have so much to do!  My sister-in-law, Megan, is also moving and blogged yesterday about her feelings about it.  It was really helpful to remember that moving is stressful and that is normal and ok, but despite that I need to keep a positive attitude and remain grateful for this wonderful opportunity.  I need to stay open and receptive to all the experiences that will come our way rather than bogged down by the minutia. 

1 comment:

  1. I think we all know what you mean. Moving IS stress. We decided after our last move to never leave this house just so we don't have to move again, EVER.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...